Monday, November 16, 2009

A Letter to Malakai:

this is a poem garrett had to write for his creative writing class.
i loved it, and i don't think he'll mind if i share it,
if he does...just pretend it wasn't me:

"I hope I find you well
How strong that hope is I guess you'll never know
I hope you still know me like I know you now
I hope your eyes are still filled with light
I hope my words and impressions still influence you, if not that's okay
I hope you still wear your mother's sweet smile
I hope you still have hope for things to come
Are the memories good, the ones of family, are they good?
I hope you have no regrets
Will you keep this letter and every once in awhile feel its weight of love and then will you
laugh once for me Malakai, and wish it into the wind?"

garrett is a fantastic writer. there is an excerpt i would also like to post. in this particular assignment he chose to write about dreaming...

"...Malakai dreamt when was was 3 weeks old. Most likely he dreamt of memories.
Vivid memories of Joseph Smith maybe, challenging him once again to a game of stick-pull.
Memories of the apostle Paul might have been pulled into his dreams, Paul teaching him and counseling him as they read over scriptures together. He might have had a dream of joining a few angels as they gathered around a missionary slumped over his bed pleading with Heavenly Father to soften a hardened heart. As I've watched my son sleep on several occasions, I'll somtimes notice a tiny smile spread across his small face, and every now and then a whisper sigh slips out. I like to think that maybe at that moment a memory is playing out in his mind when he had to leave his heavenly family. Christ embracing him, holding him tightly for a very long time, letting Malakai cry against His chest and finally saying 'til we meet again.'
These might have been the memories of a spirit that soon had to make new memories.
This is what he knew. This is what he'll forget. "

i love his writing, i love how he writes about our son.

well i thought i would share these to my world of blog readers. : )


1 comment:

* Gar * Lis * Charly * said...

That really is so beautiful! I got chills reading that! I love you!